The second of two award-winning artistic short films that I produced for director Justin Liberman. After the success of our first film, Y Nada Mas, we decided to do it all over again, only this time, in black and white on Super 16mm.
Pretty Dead Flowers is an ode to La Nouvelle Vague, which changed cinema forever, creating some of the greatest independent filmmakers and films of all time. The film explores the pathos of an aging supermodel who is confronted with the question: “What does beauty see when it looks at itself in the mirror?” Pretty Dead Flowers is a creative attempt to answer this question.
Official Selection – 2006 Montreal Int’l Film Festival
- Cindy Sampson as Rebekah Stern
- Jayne Heitmeyer as Samantha Kovacks
- Dorothee Berryman as Bonnie Altschuler
- Danny Blanco Hall as Jean-Paul Okifor
- Beau Sia as Beni
Press & Awards
Pretty Dead Flowers and Y Nada Mas have screened at over 30 international film festivals and won Best Cinematography back-to-back years at Malibu Int’l Film Festival.
My role was largely the same as on Y Nada Mas:
- Raised $40,000 budget.
- Developed script with director.
- Oversaw all creative and marketing aspects of production.
- Designed marketing materials.
- Designed and maintained film website.
- Handled festival submissions.